Monday, March 1, 2010

Someone Actually Cared....

Jean G's story shows that there are still people, and company's out there that think of people and their needs as individuals and not as a paycheck. If you are here reading this then you either are looking for such a place or doubt that it can exist, 'that’s why Luxury Drug Rehab specializes in connecting every person who calls for help with the treatment they need'...

'I gave up hope of ever becoming sober. I decided to drink myself to death. It didn't work.

After destroying my kids' lives and losing our home, car and my job, I became temporarily sober for periods of 6 months or so -- never lasting more than a year on the wagon.

I gave up. There was no reason left to drink -- nothing left to lose -- everything was already gone.

After 12 years of off-and-on-again drinking (mostly on again), I entered treatment for the third time. This time, I had insurance so the facility was a bit up-scale.

Figuring I had a free three-week stay in a place with good food, air conditioning, and friendly counselors, I settled in for a vacation from the hell I'd been living.

At the end of week one, the counselor told me my insurance wouldn't pay for more time there. I figured, 'okay, it's been fun, now they're kicking me out.' I'm familiar with being thrown out.

Then, the counselor told me "we're keeping you, anyway."

Shocked, I decided to enjoy the ride. But, something happened inside me. These people cared. I was more than an insurance payment to them. They kept me three more weeks -- then insisted I continue in out-patient therapy with them, for the entire year.

It has been 10 years since I've had a drink. Someone actually cared enough to help when I could no longer care about myself.

Today, if I even think of alcohol, I remember, with gratitude, the people who stuck their necks out and stayed with me when all hope was gone from my heart.'

~From Jean G. April 05, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment